Fall 2009: Jake and Nancy learned that Nancy's breast cancer was stage four. Winter 2013: They are still fighting. This is a gathering place to follow their story, offer support, love and prayers... to be by their side.



Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sleeping By Nancy's Side

This is my fourth attempt to write a blog update today. Nancy is comfortable and sleeping. She has crossed a threshold and moved into her final stages where she is unable to talk or move. I slept on a cot beside her last night, stroking her hand and reminding her how intensely loved she is. At one point, I told her I was picturing the faces of all those who share a profound love for her. My heart was warmed as I reflected on this. 

Dr. Rinn just came by the room to check on Nancy. The doctor-patient relationship they’ve shared for nearly 14 years is filled with an amazing love. After she finished her visit, she walked over to my side of the bed for a tear-filled embrace.


Now that I’ve written the post, I’m going to set up the cot as an extension of Nancy’s hospital bed; I’m going to crawl into our bed; and I’m going to cherish every moment of it.

No comments: