Fall 2009: Jake and Nancy learned that Nancy's breast cancer was stage four. Winter 2013: They are still fighting. This is a gathering place to follow their story, offer support, love and prayers... to be by their side.



Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day weekend

Hello again family and friends, thanks for continuing to check in and keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  We've had mostly smooth sailing the past couple weeks including a great visit with friends last weekend and a fun weekend in San Francisco over Labor Day.

While it has been mostly smooth, I had another awful headache last week following issues with my right ear and had to go into the hospital for iv fluids, pain meds and anti-nausea drugs.  My medical team wasn't happy with this turn of events, so ordered scans of my head/neck and a lumbar puncture to make sure the cancer hasn't spread to my spinal fluid.  Huge thanks to Jenny and Wendy for transportation and company on short notice during my spinal tap.  The scans and lumbar puncture results were all good, which is great, though we don't have an explanation for why I'm still having headaches.  I had another headache today, but I am starting to figure out the right combo of meds to take, so felt much better after 6 hours and my nausea was kept in check (big improvement over the last headache that lasted something like 28 hours)

We are still waiting for insurance to approve the cyberknife treatment, but expect that will come through any day now and we'll get the procedure scheduled.  My tumor markers have been climbing, but Dr. Rinn thinks we should stick with Afinitor/Aromasin for now.  I meet with her on Friday to talk about next steps.

Thanks again for all the cards and well wishes.  Sorry I'm not good about calling and am way behind on sending thank you notes.  Please know we appreciate it more than we can possibly express.


No comments: