Fall 2009: Jake and Nancy learned that Nancy's breast cancer was stage four. Winter 2013: They are still fighting. This is a gathering place to follow their story, offer support, love and prayers... to be by their side.



Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cyberknife - day 2 of 5 complete

Hello again friends and family, thanks for continuing to check in on my never ending medical updates.  Today was day 2 of 5 days of cyberknife radiosurgery to mop up any microscopic cancer cells that might be left behind after my surgery in July.  It went well (big thanks to Luanne for being with me today and driving me home, prospective thanks to Jenny who will be with me tomorrow).

Cyberknife is a walk in the park compared to some of the medical torture I go through, but to be honest, it freaks me out.  I try to be brave, but once they snap the mask onto the table and close the enormous lead door, I get a mild panic attack and have to psych myself to be calm until it is over.  Today, mid way through the treatment, the computer stopped working and they had to reboot it or something.  The cyberknife robot arm was pointed straight at my right eye when the breakdown occurred, so I had to lie there while the robot eye opened and closed multiple times.  All I could think about was the possibility that they were accidentally nuking my head while the computer came back on line.  The staff were as nice as could be, giving me updates through the intercom, but still it was me versus the high beam radiation robot stare-down (wish I had better writing skills because I'm certain there is a funny story here).  Anyway, I survived and am doing perfectly fine tonight.  Two down, three to go.  Ready for a victory lap this Friday when I'm finished.

Here's a pic of the door (see how thick it is?!).

No comments: