Fall 2009: Jake and Nancy learned that Nancy's breast cancer was stage four. Winter 2013: They are still fighting. This is a gathering place to follow their story, offer support, love and prayers... to be by their side.



Thursday, August 15, 2013

More updates

Hello again family and friends,
In spite of the bumps, we are still hanging in there.  Jake's back is a tiny bit better, though still really painful.  We are doing our best to take care of each other.

I had an informative appointment with the radiation oncologist yesterday to talk about post-surgery radiation options.  We talked about doing either cyberknife (targeted radiation) versus doing whole brain radiation and decided cyberknife makes the most sense.  I'll start it in about 10 days or so, after they get it cleared with insurance.  The treatment will run for 5 days straight, versus the single high dose treatment I had earlier this year, but otherwise will be similar, which is to say hopefully very easy, mostly I'll just be tired.  I hadn't contemplated whole brain radiation, but based on what he explained yesterday, it seems at some point we may cross that bridge and there's even an argument for doing it now to reduce the risk of other lesions popping up (my risk for this is quite a bit higher than I thought, something like 70%).

The scar from surgery is healing well and I haven't had any trouble with additional headaches.  My final dose of those awful steroids is today (thank God), so I'm hoping to feel back to my old self soon.  It has been smooth sailing on the combo of aromasin/affinitor, so hopefully I'll get a nice long run on it before needing further chemo.  Now that my black eye is healing up, I'll have to get some updated photos.

No comments: