Fall 2009: Jake and Nancy learned that Nancy's breast cancer was stage four. Winter 2013: They are still fighting. This is a gathering place to follow their story, offer support, love and prayers... to be by their side.



Friday, November 6, 2009

Today (from Nancy)

This has been one of those good-news/bad-news days. The bad news is I feel lousy after starting a drug called Zometa yesterday, which causes aches/pains/flu-like symptoms in about 30% of patients (including me). The pain should only last a couple days and I'm getting some relief after taking ibuprofen. Zometa is given once a month, so I shouldn't have this problem every week, but the other bummer news is my blood counts have fallen to the point I need Jake to give me shots, which will make my bones even more achy.

The good news is the CTC test (circulating tumor cell) came back at zero, which tells us the chemo is working! Low scores on this test are associated with longer "disease free progression", which is the amount of time treatment is effective before the cancer outsmarts it and you need to switch to a different drug cocktail. We can assume the tumors are shrinking, which will be confirmed/quantified in a few weeks when I have another PET/CT.

Aside from treatment, I'm enjoying my new little office, which has a beautiful view of the Sound and mountains. The dogs are excellent company, especially Rose who likes to climb up in the comfy chair/ottoman and nap while I read.

No comments: